Monday, March 24, 2008

This Week's TP: Go-Go from DC

There's a reason there aren't a lot of MC's that rep Washington, D.C., and that reason is Go-Go. While other cities were nurturing hip-hop and rap scenes during the early to mid-1980s, D.C. was nurturing Go-Go. Funk with a highly syncopated back-beat and heady call and response vocals, it's the party music of choice for D.C. While it's pretty much unheard of outside of D.C./MD/VA (though thanks to some mentions on "The Wire" that seems to be changing), Go-Go remains one of the most popular styles of music in D.C.

I'll be playing a bunch of Go-Go records this Friday. It's by no means meant to be exhaustive, but hopefully it will get people interested in a style of music that doesn't make it out past the 'burbs of D.C. all that often.

-Nick

The Junkyard Band @ Showplace Photo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your blog.

I enjoy your blog and like yourself I’m currently 21, a college student, and quickly looking to develop myself on the web.

I currently work at my university as the web design and developer and personally I’m developing my own website.

I’m impressed with what you’ve done so far and hope to see more of your work in the future.

--------------------------
Quilts and Coverlets

saim said...

Hey great stuff, thank you for sharing this.
Amazing... ;)


find doctor list